Monday, June 15, 2015

Day-2; Friday-June-12-2015; Wooden furniture designs

I have been always attracted to wood as material for design objects. Certain types of wood definitely carry strong and often positive energy. For example, Cedar. Cedar is full of energy and solid power.
Since about ten years ago I use forks, spoons, combs and many other common things made from wood. I often travel to China for business and have a great opportunity to buy very good quality and very inexpensive wooden utensils there. I also use wooden plates and bowls for my food.
Here are few quick designs of wooden chair, made out of bent plywood. My uncle back in Russia has a small factory where he manufactures wooden furniture using his own technology of rapid curing of bent veneer, using radio frequency, which hardens epoxy between layers of veneer very fast and dries wood in record time.
Chair (or stool) presented below, was design in progression from a simple stool, made as assembly of four identical bent modules. Then I tried to add to it different elements to turn it into slightly different pieces of furniture with slightly different features.


Simple stool made using four identical modules



Now I added seating and backrest to the original stool




Here I replaced backrest of previous version for something a bit more stylish.



Now I added also armrests to the chair







And finally, I replaced armrests of previous version with a student desk writing surface.
www.atusdesign.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, leave your comments and/or suggestions for my next design project.